Tuesday, January 22, 2008

oh geez, I hired an organizer!

I have lots of friends who are organizing divas. I attract people who thrive on things being in place, in alphabetical order, in line. They get satisfaction from washing clothes and vacuuming. They don't let clutter pile up on their kitchen counters. Some, including my husband, perhaps would even get an OCD diagnosis. Not all of them of course, but enough to make me wonder why I'm drawn to people like that.

Because I am Miss Messy and cannot get organized to save my life. The idea of cleaning makes me feel anxious. I feel so much more comfortable with clutter around me. And those I love are the opposite. I am not sure why I am wired differently. My mother was an antique dealer 9and teacher) so the house was full of antiques - every inch of wall space. She was very messy, too, so probably some of it is just what I'm used to, what I grew up with.

So to practically save my marriage I have hired a professional organizer. We are moving into a new house so I thought it would be perfect timing. She can unpack and organize as we go and I can start this house on a clean slate so to speak.

Okay, so she costs a lot. But this is the best money I've ever spent. She is amazing. She took 5 sets of china and some shelving and made it all fit like a tetris puzzle in my china cabinet and it looks great, too - not overcrowded.

I've never met a person who was so strong in both areas of the brain. She is extremely creative and yet is obviously good at organizing. She is me and my husband mixed into one person. I should have married her!

2 comments:

tulipmom said...

Good for you for doing this... I really should follow your lead before the baby comes. I need a professional to help me purge all the stuff I'm keeping for no good reason (except that I can't part with it).

Jen P said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I see that I will enjoy yours too! Fellow southerners.

Did you see my post about organization? Hahahaha!