Wednesday, March 26, 2008

another hard day...

Somehow I am the caretaker of my family. Even my extended family. Even my step-family, you know? It feels good I will admit. It give me purpose. Being helpful is a tiny silver lining in this nightmare.

Miss R is not great. All three types of blood cells dropped considerably today. She will have to undergo a bone marrow biopsy tomorrow morning. Because it is a very painful procedure, she will be sedated.

There is still a chance this is still a random, freaky virus causing this. But most of the virus tests are back and they are negative. (mono, flu) So it is beginning to point toward, dare I say it? The possibility of leukemia or some other cancer. The doctors are throwing it around like such a big possibility. So hard to hear.

Tonight she underwent a blood transfusion. They decided to divide it up into 3 separate sections with breaks in between for her body to recover. She had no negative reaction and was a perfect patient. The nurses are besides themselves at what a great patient she is for a 2-year-old! She has to hold her arm straight and steady and was willing to do this! When I left, she was still receiving the last part of the first of the 3 portions and already was pinking up and regaining her color. So good! She was in good spirits and CC kept her entertained as well. She has been remarkably maternal toward her. Another positive piece of news is that usually leukemia presents with a rash on hands or feet and she has not had a rash of any kind! They did discover she has a urinary tract infection which should not be causing this problem but is an added issue. In between the transfusions, she will receive antibiotics for that. The biopsy has been scheduled for 10 am tomorrow (Thurs). However, they will not hear any results until the end of the day.

Again, she is not in any pain. Only a tad annoyed she must stay in bed during the transfusion. She did finally get a good two-hour nap in today (which she did not yesterday) so they are glad she got that rest as they will have to wake her up quite a bit during night to check the transfusion. We encouraged her dad to go home and get some sleep after dinner. Her mom is staying the night and did receive a cot. I brought her a warm, soft blanket so hopefully she will get some sleep tonight. They both continue to be strong but have moments of losing it as anyone would.

Tomorrow will be a long day.

Thank you so much for positive thoughts and love.

13 comments:

kristen said...

Still keeping your family in our prayers.

dancingmom said...

I just can't even believe this is happening. Many, many prayers are coming.

Queen of Shake-Shake said...

Still thinking of you and yours.

amanda said...

I'll keep your family in my thoughts.

TZT said...

Oh, what a brave girl. Sending good vibes, prayers and wishes your family's way.

cac said...

oh my gosh, oh no - I am holding Miss R and family close in my heart and hoping for good news very soon.

When will you get the results from the bone marrow test?

Lots of love,
C

Jennifer, Le Binky Bitch said...

What a frightening prospect. I'll add your family to my thoughts and hope for a very quick recovery, with NO CANCER diagnosis.

Jenn said...

You're all in our prayers here too.

Sugarplum's Mom said...

I'm sorry to read this. I came over from the Queen's site. My thoughts are with you and your family. It's so tough to think of such a little one having such a hard time.

Clink said...

I found you by way of The Queen of Shake.
No one so small should ever have to endure something so big.
She is in my prayers.

Mary said...

Hoping for the best for your little miss and keeping all of you in my thoughts.

mommastantrum said...

My breath stopped reading this. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. I hope that today went well.

tulipmom said...

Just checking in to see how you're all doing ....