Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day: mixed review

Father's Day brings mixed emotions for me.

On one hand, I see my husband - a man who is a good father - playing and dancing with our daughter. I also see him with his older daughter - always guiding and loving.

And yet on the other hand, I miss my own dad so much.

Miss CC acts exactly like my dad, her Papa. And yet they never met. I lost my dad 15 years ago to a surprise stomach aneurism. And just like that, at age 66, he was gone. CC has his sense of humor - very corny and silly. Things my dad said and did were hilarious. If anyone else said them, however, they fell flat. There was just something about him that was inherently funny. He was also quite childlike and adorable. And yet he was a hugely successful, brilliant attorney. I loved him, but I also admired him.

Today's plans include doughnuts for breakfast, art project making for Mr. C, pool toy shopping, swimming in new pool and a community barbecue with a bounce house. The day is sure to include lots of gleeful laughter and fun.

And yet.....I miss Daddy.

1 comment:

SmogRanch said...

Hmmmm, doughnuts....